Our society and businesses need to adapt to climate change impacts that are now inevitable. Nature can help us adapt, limiting the risks and providing some new opportunities, but nature may itself need to adapt to changing physical and chemical conditions. To be ‘climate ready’ we need to:
- Help ecosystems to function naturally, to be as resilient as possible and able to provide us with many benefits;
- Identify, protect and where possible enhance the features and functions of nature that help shield us from the negative effects of climate change;
- Ensure businesses and communities will be robust to projected changes that may affect their physical infrastructure or the natural resources upon which they depend;
- Help people, nature and businesses to adapt to climate change, by making it easier to take action and make the right choices.
The challenge is intellectual in terms of the required scientific knowledge and policy drivers, but also behavioral. At the levels of the individual, communities, organisations and businesses, we seek wider spread change in the choices and actions people take; we call these adaptation behaviors.
The overall objectives of the conference are to:
- Raise awareness of climate change adaptation with a broad audience, encouraging innovative thinking and action.
- Encouraging integrated policy and action on climate change adaptation across stakeholders, from communities and businesses to regional planners and decision-makers.
- Contribute to awareness-raising and implementation of the Scottish Government’s Climate Change Adaptation Programme.
- Produce a report that captures stakeholder views on climate change adaptation and priorities; showcase different perspectives of climate change to highlight entry points for adaptation.