April 2, 2019
Experts Launch Blue Prosperity Coalition
News Source: SDG Knowledge Hub
Author(s): Catherin Benson Wahlén
A global network of ocean experts launched the Blue Prosperity Coalition, which aims to protect 30 percent of the marine environment and promote a blue prosperity plan. The Coalition will provide financing, expertise and tools to support governments in sustainable ocean management.
The Blue Prosperity is organized around five key principles:
- The oceans need urgent protection;
- It is possible to improve the environment and economy simultaneously;
- It is critical to protect 30 percent of the ocean;
- Comprehensive, science-based plans in consultation with key stakeholders are the best way to achieve ocean protection; and
- Collaboration with committed government leadership can achieve productive and sustainable oceans.
Founding members of the Coalition include Dynamic Planet, National Geographic Pristine Seas, Oceans 5 and Waitt Institute. These members will support marine spatial planning and build capacity of local agencies to implement marine commitments and develop blue economies. The Governments of the Azores, Barbuda, Curacao and Tonga are participating in the Coalition.
Blue Prosperity Coalition partner, Enric Sala, a National Geographic Explorer in Residence, said the world does not “need to choose between the economy or the environment.” Sala underscored the potential to restore marine environments and the local economies and livelihoods that depend on them “by choosing the right level of protection.”